A few things I’d like to say about the Royal Family #royalbaby
A few things I’d like to say about the Royal Family:
1) I think most of the Royals are great – but I think the media coverage of the Royal baby (particularly the BBC’s coverage) has been completely over the top – and ridiculously deferential.
2) I think HM The Queen has been an extraordinary force for good in this country and that she is an incredibly hard-working person. (Ditto The Duke of Edinburgh, who has been an excellent consort)
3) I respect Princess Anne for her bluntness but mostly for her hard-work. (I met her last year and she was charming and very down-to-earth…)
4) I think HRH The Prince of Wales is absolutely spot-on about modern architecture. I don’t care if he talks to flowers.
5) I think William and Harry have grown up to be fine young men – and have clearly not had easy lives.
6) I wouldn’t want to be a member of the Royal Family and live in a 24/7 media spotlight or have my diary arranged years ahead.
7) I interviewed Prince Edward once and frankly, thought he was a bit of a prat.
8) I gave a card for the Queen to Prince Philip during the 1977 Silver Jubilee – and she wrote back to say thanks… (she always does!)
9) I think a monarchy is an anachronism in the 21st century – but I can’t think of a better system… so therefore I support it and consider myself to be a royalist.
10) I think the baby will probably be named George or Henry.